We’re hiring | Hip Hop Dance Practitioner
6 month contract
Body Politic (BP) are looking for an experienced Hip Hop practitioner to join their expanding team in Oxford.
The candidate will be responsible for leading, planning and delivering at least 3 classes per week to ages 5-16yrs in Oxford.
BP have been delivering a successful outreach programme in Oxford since 2017, but we are now looking to expand, and create a larger positive change within local communities. This is an exciting opportunity to be instrumental in the development of Hip Hop dance in Oxford, and impact the lives of young people.
The candidate must have experience at teaching young people aged 5-16yrs from different backgrounds and settings, and have a strong foundation in Hip Hop dance.
£35 – 45per hour (depending on experience)
Mondays and/or Wednesdays
Please email your CV and a short cover letter / audio recording (max 1 side of A4/ 5 mins recording) explaining why you wish to apply for this position, describing how your experience relates to the position, and explaining and giving examples as to how you meet the required skills and abilities, to Emma-Jane Greig at email@example.com by Monday 5 July, 12pm.
Background on Body Politic
Body Politic (BP) is a critically acclaimed professional Hip Hop company based in Oxford, whose work empowers people from under-represented communities both, on and off the stage.
BP is a flagship for female-led Hip Hop Theatre and is passionate about supporting the national community of Hip Hop practitioners through artistic development and career pathway opportunities. The activities we deliver include:
- Weekly dance sessions in deprived communities delivered in partnership with Dancin’ Oxford (Oxford City Council) and funded through Access Sport, Public Health England and Oxford City Council
- Producing exciting dance theatre based on powerful social issues
- Leadership development opportunities for aspiring artists young artists from diverse communities
- An enriching programme of training, mentoring, paid opportunities and internships.
BP Core Values:
- Strong foundation in Hip Hop dance
- At least 2-3 years experience of planning and delivering classes, sessions and projects with young people ages 5-16yrs
- Experience of using a range of choreographic tools and tasks to create engaging and inclusive sessions.
- Experience of working in a variety of different settings i.e. schools, community centers, Pupil Referral Units
- Positive Behaviour Management
- Excellent communication
- Understanding of the principles of youth work and how to incorporate this knowledge into session delivery.
- Experience of measuring impact & evaluating projects.
- Emergency First Aid
Deadline for applications: Monday 5 July
Both interview and practical delivery will take place in person, in Oxford on Monday 12 July, between 1-6pm. Interviews will be followed by a 30min practical session. BP will reimburse travel with proof of receipts, up to the sum of £25.
Start date: Week beginning Monday 6 September
Contract duration: 6 months with view to extend.
We are committed to bringing in and uplifting talent from under-represented communities in three ways:
- Widening the talent pool to include candidates from all backgrounds
- Investing in staff from under-represented groups to enable progression
- Creating an inclusive workplace where everyone, whatever their background, can feel valued and is able to flourish
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.